ysabetwordsmith: Cartoon of me in Wordsmith persona (Default)
[personal profile] ysabetwordsmith
Today we went up to Champaign-Urbana.


For lunch we stopped at Dairy Queen in Tuscola. The chicken fingers are quite good.

Then I noticed that Kirby Foods was right near there, and we'd been meaning to check it out. This grocery store's sign advertised "100% employee owned" and I'm sufficiently fed up with parasitic capitalism to be watching for alternatives. So we explored it. We wound up buying several items, and would like to return to browse the frozen aisle more. They have a donut cabinet; I got a cinnamon twist and my partner Doug chose a maple-frosted longjohn. The prices are a lot lower than County Market or Harvest Market, higher than Aldi or Wal-Mart. Useful to know.

Leaves are starting to turn colors, mostly maples so far. Champaign-Urbana is very pretty to drive through.

We went to Common Ground for breakfast cereal and wound up with a couple other things. Amusingly, they have one brand with a whole bunch of different flavors all inspired by animals.

At Bombay Market, we found a package of paneer cubes that will go well with some of the simmer sauce that we have. I think I need to get a package of frozen peas though. Then we noticed that their little eatery was open, with a couple hotboxes full of interesting things. We wound up splitting a paneer puff. I thought it would be just the plain cheese filling. Instead it was mashed paneer with spices, redolent and just on the edge of my spice tolerance. We want to go back and try more of those different things. If I can find something a little milder, that will become a lunch option.

We tried an Asian grocery store for mirin, but the kind they had was different than what I used before, so I decided to skip it. I need to look up recommended brands again.

Costco was our main grocery stop. We stocked up on our standard snack items, I found a couple bags of fall bulbs, and we found some sliced turkey in the convenience foods. I also got a box of pears. On the way out, we split a cup of vanilla ice cream topped with strawberries, which was excellent.

It has been a productive day.

Profile

ysabetwordsmith: Cartoon of me in Wordsmith persona (Default)
ysabetwordsmith

October 2026

S M T W T F S
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags