Today's Cooking
Sep. 25th, 2026 03:21 pmI'm making a crockpot dish, mostly with leftovers:
* half a 1.25 pound package of chicken thighs
* half a small butternut squash (the other half diced and frozen)
* half a sweet onion diced
* 1/2 cup black-eyed peas
* 1 cup corncob broth
I still have more things to add.
EDIT 9/25/26 -- I typed up the recipe.
* half a 1.25 pound package of chicken thighs
* half a small butternut squash (the other half diced and frozen)
* half a sweet onion diced
* 1/2 cup black-eyed peas
* 1 cup corncob broth
I still have more things to add.
EDIT 9/25/26 -- I typed up the recipe.
Sounds good!
Date: 2026-09-25 10:43 pm (UTC)My last "surprise" soup I made yesterday:
1 cup each of whole soybeans and maya coba beans. I put a couple of bay leaves and a whole onion in a quart of water and pressure cooked them ten minutes, halfway done.
Then I added:
1 quart of homemade vegetable broth, no salt.
1.5 lbs boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into one inch pieces only 1/4" thick.
Two onions, minced
3/4 of a medium head of cabbage, cut into 1" cubes (approximately)
a can of green beans
a teaspoon each of harissa and cumin
a tablespoon of minced garlic (should've doubled that)
The total volume was rushing toward the max fill line of the instant pot, so I added a pint of water and set it for another ten minutes.
It needed salt, but I add that to the individual servings because adding other spices often cuts the need for salt.
Total yield was eight stew-style pints and a half pint that was closer to soup.
The original plan would've put 300kCal and 34 carbs per pint, but I don't want to recalculate for only one can of green beans instead of two.
Tomorrow's lunch will get a couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce. *G*
Re: Sounds good!
Date: 2026-09-26 12:44 am (UTC)Two tonight plus leftovers. That's probably one serving by itself, or two if dumped over rice. I wasn't trying to make a huge amount.
>> Tomorrow's lunch will get a couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce. *G* <<
Thanks for the reminder! I added 1/2 teaspoon of coco aminos to my crockpot.
Re: Sounds good!
Date: 2026-09-26 01:41 am (UTC)