ysabetwordsmith: Cartoon of me in Wordsmith persona (Default)
[personal profile] ysabetwordsmith
Today I'm making pork chops and a chop salad.

Pork chop marinade includes roughly:
1 tablespoon full-flavor olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
dash of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon Grovestone Little Italy Pizza Seasoning

For the chop salad I have lots of little tomatoes from the garden, plus two tiny cucumbers, so this will be more tomato than cucumber. Consequently I want to use basil as the green leaf this time.

Chop salad

Date: 2026-09-08 08:33 pm (UTC)
dialecticdreamer: My work (Default)
From: [personal profile] dialecticdreamer
Are these the "shove it all through a grid cutter" homogenous salads made with an assortment of veggies which usually take a long time to prepare?

Re: Chop salad

Date: 2026-09-08 09:35 pm (UTC)
dialecticdreamer: My work (Default)
From: [personal profile] dialecticdreamer
The goal seems to be to have fairly uniform pieces, rather than leaf of lettuce, or big shred of it, a wedge of tomato, a slice of radish, et cetera. Chop it all to look like large confetti and let it meld with a light dressing before serving.

Re: Chop salad

Date: 2026-09-08 10:28 pm (UTC)
dialecticdreamer: My work (Default)
From: [personal profile] dialecticdreamer
Considering how SMALL the suggested daily maximum of oil/fat really is, sprinkling veg with herbs and a few drops of lemon juice is a much better option than dressing, BUT it works best ON small pieces, while dressing is the opposite, mean to coat LARGER pieces of food.

Re: Chop salad

Date: 2026-09-09 01:36 am (UTC)
dialecticdreamer: My work (Default)
From: [personal profile] dialecticdreamer
Going for as long as I have with minimal additional sugar in my diet, my taste buds have retrained to the point that most dressings are FAR too sweet for me. So, a bit of lemon juice and some herbs without an emulsifier are much better than bottled dressings.

Re: Chop salad

Date: 2026-09-09 11:15 am (UTC)
dialecticdreamer: My work (Default)
From: [personal profile] dialecticdreamer
Tahini tends to separate badly, but here's the good news: The thinner oil at the top STILL has sesame seed in it, making it wonderful for making dressing. *G*

Re: Chop salad

Date: 2026-09-12 10:18 am (UTC)
dialecticdreamer: My work (Default)
From: [personal profile] dialecticdreamer
Frankly, I reach a point where I cannot stir up the concrete any longer. That's when chipping it out, as literal chunks the size of raisins or smaller, led to putting the bits in a dry skillet to toast them as a topping.

(no subject)

Date: 2026-09-09 12:54 am (UTC)
warriorsavant: +Sword & Microscope (Default)
From: [personal profile] warriorsavant

Nom likes to marinate pork chops wish soy sauce, sesame oil, and nuoc mam, plus a few other secret ingredients.

New word!

Date: 2026-09-09 01:39 am (UTC)
dialecticdreamer: My work (Default)
From: [personal profile] dialecticdreamer
Fish sauce is one of my favorite flavors. I can't make it at home, so I just focus on trying a different brand each time to find THE one that I like best.

(no subject)

Date: 2026-09-09 02:15 pm (UTC)
tedwords: (Default)
From: [personal profile] tedwords
Sounds great!

Profile

ysabetwordsmith: Cartoon of me in Wordsmith persona (Default)
ysabetwordsmith

September 2026

S M T W T F S
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 171819
20212223242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags