ysabetwordsmith: Cartoon of me in Wordsmith persona (Default)
[personal profile] ysabetwordsmith
Today I finished raking the leaf mulch off of the tulip bed.  

Snowdrops are blooming, along with the first daffodils under the maple tree by the south lot.  In the wildflower garden, the first of the wild crocus has flower buds that aren't open yet.

Naked lady lilies have their leaves up.  Some of the honeysuckles are leafing out.  Lilacs are budding.

(no subject)

Date: 2016-03-11 03:43 pm (UTC)
fred_mouse: line drawing of sheep coloured in queer flag colours with dream bubble reading 'dreamwidth' (Default)
From: [personal profile] fred_mouse
Already? We aren't anywhere near out of hot&dry, so it hadn't occurred to me that other places might be heading into their next season already. I don't imagine we are going to get much/any rain for another month (the eastern part of the country has some interesting things going on, where cooler air from the south is being blocked by hot air from the inland, but I have no idea what is going on on our side of the country).

(no subject)

Date: 2016-03-10 10:56 pm (UTC)
ext_3294: Tux (Default)
From: [identity profile] technoshaman.livejournal.com
Cherry blossoms everywhere here. Although they may have been blown off in that last; I haven't been out today... 50-knot winds are NO FUN! I'm guessing about two days before this hits you....

Yes...

Date: 2016-03-10 11:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ysabetwordsmith.livejournal.com
It sucks when spring winds rip all the blossoms off the trees. They never fruit as well then. :(

(no subject)

Date: 2016-03-11 01:49 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] rhodielady-47.livejournal.com
Thanks for the heads-up!
(I live in Indiana not far from the state line with Ill.)
:^}

Yes...

Date: 2016-03-11 02:09 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ysabetwordsmith.livejournal.com
I'm in central Illinois, not all that far from the Indiana state line. We went to the Indianapolis state fair once because they did a free admission day.

(no subject)

Date: 2016-03-10 11:42 pm (UTC)
rix_scaedu: (Kitten in fez)
From: [personal profile] rix_scaedu
Our naked ladies are finishing off flowering, assuming they are the same plant.

Well...

Date: 2016-03-11 12:02 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ysabetwordsmith.livejournal.com
Mine is a lily that leafs out in early spring, dies back, then sends up only flower stalks in late summer. They look like weird little alien pods, then open into pastels lily flowers of pink-blue-lavender with a sweet fragrance.

Re: Well...

Date: 2016-03-11 03:11 am (UTC)
rix_scaedu: (Kitten in fez)
From: [personal profile] rix_scaedu
I need to send you a link but I can't from here.

Re: Well...

Date: 2016-03-11 06:29 am (UTC)
rix_scaedu: (cat wearing fez)
From: [personal profile] rix_scaedu
A pink variety of these is what I think of as a naked lady:

https://www.tesselaar.net.au/belladonna-lily

Re: Well...

Date: 2016-03-11 06:57 am (UTC)
rix_scaedu: (Kitten in fez)
From: [personal profile] rix_scaedu
There are similarities but yours are much taller.

Re: Well...

Date: 2016-03-11 08:53 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ysabetwordsmith.livejournal.com
Yeah, mine are about knee height.

Re: Well...

Date: 2016-03-11 09:59 am (UTC)
rix_scaedu: (cat wearing fez)
From: [personal profile] rix_scaedu
They looked taller in the picture you linked to. I think they're still more upright than mine.

(no subject)

Date: 2016-03-11 01:47 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] rhodielady-47.livejournal.com
I just love my Naked ladies!
I got lucky two years in a row at an herb fair: Was able to buy large bagfuls each year. I'm really looking forward to their blooming season this year!
(The secret to growing them really well is that they really need a lot of water during the summer, so don't let them dry out.)
:^)

Profile

ysabetwordsmith: Cartoon of me in Wordsmith persona (Default)
ysabetwordsmith

August 2026

S M T W T F S
       1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags